The CLA Game Fair- a prestigious worldwide outdoorsy event, was just that. It saw hundreds of thousands of people from all over, mainly and quite stereotypically the well off, upper class, rah rahhs.
I admit I had an extreme pre-conception of the people I was likely to meet, as all quite 'stuck-up' dare I say it, but this really wasn't the case, as most of the people I met and was confronted by seemed quite the opposite.
As we arrived, I was introduced to the other 4 girls which I'd be working with..All from different backgrounds, but all with similar ambitions to have a career in Journalism, which was inspiring and refreshing to hear others that were so passionate about their future in writing!
We were all assigned roles, of assisting in various ways with the press and photographers. My main role was to register all of the press as they arrived during the day, which seems pretty straight forward, but turned out to be a very busy stressful job. There was such a diverse range of press, from freelancers, regional and national, photographers and radio. 'The little black book' certainly increased in contacts which is great for me!
Being in charge of the front desk with another girl on worky, of the whole press centre, meant I got to see the more 'important people of the show.'
I was a bit star struck as Alan Sugar's Apprentice team from last years show strolled in-and when I was told I needed to drive them down on a buggy through hundreds of thousands of people to the clay shooting stand in 6 minutes, and if I didn't get them there I "may as well just pack up my bags and go home"- that was a maaassive pressure! Everything turned out for the best even though it did not have a horn and no I didn't have a licence to drive it!
The Babe Machine
Ceri and I just cruisin'
We did have many a giggle as tweed(le) dee and tweed(le) dum as they walked around with their gun dogs, fishing rods, high waisted trousers and voices that seemed so posh that it was almost an effort to get to the end of their sentence.
The exhibitors were flaunting there expensive goods and I spent a lot of time checking out the products at the British Food Village- to see which wanted their food sampled by the press.My new ride...
The CLA Fashion Show
In the evenings we spent our courtesy food vouchers getting veery merry in the Pimms tent before stumbling back to our tents for a measly sleep, then it was up at 5/6/7am for another looong day.
All in all it was a worthy experience. Not one I'd jump to do again mind- (83p an hour?!) But it is character building. There is no way I would have been able to do it a couple of years ago, not because of the age but because of lack of confidence. I would have cracked at the pressure which just proves I've only been growing as a person. I met some great down to earth people who by the end of 5 tiresome days, all did go a little crazy which was all laughs!
Never thought I'd say it at the time, but I'm missing the Game Fare!
No comments:
Post a Comment